Mommyyy

/ Wednesday, September 03, 2008 /
I believe most of you have read this story.

Chanced upon it again and teared a 2nd time, partially because of some recent little incident with my mom.


The One-Eye Mother

My mom only had one eye. I hated her... She was such an embarrassment.
She cooked for students & teachers to support the family.

There was this one day during elementary school where my mom came to
Say hello to me.

I was so embarrassed.

How could she do this to me?
I ignored her, threw her a hateful look and ran out.
The next day at school one of my classmates said, "EEEE, your mom
has only one eye!"

I wanted to bury myself.
I also wanted my mom to just disappear.
I confronted her that day and said, " If you're only goanna make me a
Laughing stock, why don't you just die?"

My mom did not respond...
I didn't even stop to think for a second about what I had said, because
I was full of anger.
I was oblivious to her feelings.

I wanted out of that house, and have nothing to do with her.
So I studied real hard , got a chance to go abroad to study.
Then, I got married.
I bought a house of my own.
I had kids of my own.
I was happy with my life, my kids and the comforts, Then one day, my
Mother came to visit me.
She hadn't seen me in years and she didn't even meet her
Grandchildren.

When she stood by the door, my children laughed at her, and I yelled at
Her for coming over uninvited.
I screamed at her, "How dare you come to my house and scare my
Children!"
GET OUT OF HERE! NOW!!!"

And to this, my mother quietly answered, "Oh, I'm so sorry. I may have
Gotten the wrong address,"
And she disappeared out of sight.
One day, a letter regarding a school reunion came to my house.

So I lied to my wife that I was going on a business trip.
After the reunion, I went to the old shack just out of curiosity.


My neighbors said that she died.
I did not shed a single tear.
They handed me a letter that she had wanted me to have.

"My dearest son,
I think of you all the time. I'm sorry that I came to your house and
Scared your children.
I was so glad when I heard you were coming for the reunion.
But I may not be able to even get out of bed to see you.
I'm sorry that I was a constant embarrassment to you when you were
Growing up.

You see........when you were very little, you got into an accident, and
Lost your eye.
As a mother, I couldn't stand watching you
Having to grow up with one eye.
So I gave you mine.
I was so proud of my son who was seeing a whole new world for me, in my
Place, with that eye.

With all my love to you,
Your mother.




Sigh how to not tear.



A few months ago, I was asked to help in my friend's wedding in her team bride. We agreed on the color schemes for the big day. A white dress in the day and black one at night. So, I went to hunt for pretty dresses which are really within my budget.

It wasn't easy. The really pretty and good quality ones reflected a big deal on their prices. Cheaper ones looked just as cheap as it should be. It took me a few days and combed quite a lot of places before I finally found them.

The downside was, there was a whole chunk of mini beads sewed very loosely onto the thick sequin neckline area for that white dress I purchased. They were really nice for the design, but the workmanship was insincere. There were like more than 100 mini beads and due to the pressing of time, I could not do it myself. So as usual, I shyly requested my mom to help me strengthen the threading for the beads. She is a full time housewife and I really trust her sewing skills due to all the wonderful works she did for my clothes before.

That night, I returned home and my mother looked at me with a pair of really guilty and upset eyes, telling me that her hands were too dry for my dress. I took a look at what happened to it and gave out a sigh.

The beads were already well-secured but the sequined area was furring badly. I got what my mother meant. Her dry hands had caused that.

"Why like that one... I took a lot of hard time to find this dress leh..." I just blurted it out in a fit of the moment. Well, I was sure I didn't sound angry, but I regretted immediately after saying that.

"Sorry sorry... All my fault la... if I had noticed that it will fur with the contact of my dry hands earlier this wouldn't happen. Sigh." My mom apologised.

I was still holding onto the dress and reflecting the sequin part against light to check the severeness of damage. I didn't reply.

"How much is it? I'll give you the money, you go and buy this dress at the same shop again?" She suggested.

"Nevermind la. I'll wear this. I don't like to waste money!"

I guess that further saddened my mom.



My EQ must be really low. Anger tends to get the better of me and I am one who reacts immediately to how I feel. I just couldn't leave a matter aside before I react and most of the time I will regret what I have done.

After bath that night, I took another look at my white dress. The bath not only cleansed me physically, I was feeling so much calmer too when I looked at the damage.

It was then that I saw the details on the threading work of the mini beads. My mom took the effort to sew so many little tiny beads with her long-sighted eyesight. I started imagining how she takes off her short-sighted glasses, looks carefully into the needle hole, threads, lifts my dress, starts threading through the tiny holes in the beads, while making sure the thread wouldn't pass through the second layer of cloth underneath.

Her long-sighted eyesight wouldn't have noticed her dry hands were furring my dress at all!

Immense guilt struck me with a sudden rush from my chest to above my nose. That sour feeling there made me felt like tearing. I didn't. I knew it was my fault to have complained and so I didn't. Why can't I just say to her, nah it's ok, or, it's just a dress! Why must I think that I wouldn't be able to find a second dress anymore?!

My mom came into my room again and insisted that I buy another dress. I therefore had the chance to assure her, it's ok, I will keep a lookout for another dress, but if there's none, I'll wear this.


Next day after work, my mom regained her happiness and showed me my dress.

"I found the fur cutter in the store room! How's this looking now? Fine or not?" She asked.

Indeed, it looked as new as I first bought. No fur. In fact, even better, due to the really secured beads.

"WA! Looks very good!!! What's that fur cutter all about?! So interesting!" I was seriously trying to find out about that device, not acting nice to my mom.

She then showed me the device and we were chatting happily again. I praised her work for the beads and asked how many times she had threaded the needle for this, so on and for.

On my friend's big day, her makeover artist saw my dress and praised it to the heavens. I didn't tell her that in my heart, it's really the best dress in town with all that story behind it. I was grinning away the whole day.

---

Today, my mom's dry skin worsened. Her finger tips are so dry that they cracked and gave her great pains. I saw her skin condition yesterday while she was applying some common medication cream onto the affected areas. Patches of infections were everywhere on her body! I couldn't take it and gave her a piece of my mind.

"Why are you always so hardworking in every other thing except looking after yourself!!!"

Silly mom laughed out at herself and agreed with me. Immediately, I helped her applied the topical cream I had for my eczema on the infected areas and told her to go see the doctor today whom I've always frequented.

She MUST RECOVER!


Just wanna tell someone, anyone, that,
I love my mom and will give up anything for her just like how she will.

6 comments:

{ Lionel Low } on: 9/03/2008 4:53 PM said...

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU! :')

Anonymous on: 9/04/2008 3:37 AM said...

Gan dong daoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, mummy can gave up so much for the family right? Haha.. My mum spoilt this top I bought and wore just once too. She immediately went to buy another smiliar (in her eyes but really.... LOL) to replace it for me cos she has spoilt too many of my stuffs but when she told me she has damaged my top, I told her it's okay, just a top anyway (tho I spent quite some money on that!). I think work has really stretched my patience and I have grown to be really accomodating. Not to mention, cos I know her love for me, so that was okay.

Ever wonder how we can ever match up to that level of love when we become mothers ourselves? Haha! Sometimes I think of it and I scare myself! But I guess it will all come naturally oh.

~ Cat

{ Hacksan Sam } on: 9/04/2008 6:41 AM said...

I agree that it'll come naturally. Couple of years into my work life, when I started to hold more and more responsibilities, somehow I have learned to love my parents alot more. Perhaps after seeing how they support me in my unusually stressful career.

Still remember once I was working in the office overnite and was to fly off the very next morning. I left the office around 6-7am for home and my mum assisted me to pack my luggage. Really last minute packing so I was all frustrated. I didn't really make any rude remarks but my tone certainly wasn't polite. But it was entirely my fault for not packing ahead of time.

Nowadays I still pack my luggage just the nite before the trip (thats the way I like it) and my mum will get in and out of my room nagging me. I'll just smile at her and say "Why so serious?"

Anonymous on: 9/07/2008 5:01 PM said...

wa very brave to write out your touching story ah... alot of times i also feel sour and tear when i say or done something to rude/wrong to her... haiz... anyway just share my story... few weeks back i asked my mum to help me fix my dresses... after a few days... she throw me back the dresses and tell me... i can't fix it... AND THAT'S THE END OF MY STORY!!! wahahahaha... she's smart la... know cannot fix so rather don't spoiled it if not i sure say her WAHAHAHAHA..... SAYANG SAYANG MUMMY LAAAA!!!!!!

Anonymous on: 9/08/2008 5:47 AM said...

Wow looks like I can collect all our mothers' touching stories and publish liao. haha! Mothers are the best presents from whoever above. Though not everybody are this lucky, they can give happiness as the best presents to their kids as well!

Cat, I was thinking the same too! I told my bf the other day, wonder if I'll be like my mom, giving selfless love to my kids in the future. Then they'll be writing blogs of how kind I am etc wahahaha. Totally heartwarming at the thought of it!

{ Arul } on: 9/12/2008 3:35 AM said...

:) that was sweet.

All my life, I've never 'told' my mom (or dad) that I love them. And neither do they 'say' that to me.

And with my ex, a day felt incomplete, if I couldn't bid her good night and tell her how much I loved her.

A major reason for me, is that - its not very common in my 'culture' to explicitly express love in words. The phrase 'I love you' is sorta like, reserved for use among romantic couples or something. And even that, not sure if people really express it to each other :P

Guess its not the same at ur end, so go tell ur mom how much u love her :P

Someday, ur mom should read this post. Am sure u gonna make her cry :)


Cheers
APe!

Post a Comment

 
Sandee* © 2011
Powered by Blogger